29 Questions to Help You Discover Your Brand Identity
Before you start creating a new logo in Canva or revamping your brand identity for your company, where do you start?
First, you’ll need a solid foundation to help direct your design decisions.
To help get you started I’ve compiled below a list of 29 of the actual questions I ask my clients before starting any identity design project.
For best results, I recommend answering each question with as much detail as you can. You never know what bit of information you put down will lead to you to the best possible design solution for your business.
- What is the name of your company?
- What is your company tag-line or slogan, if any?
- What products or services does your business offer?
- How do you expect your project to affect or generate growth/sales, if at all?
- What is your company’s history or unique story that you’d like to tell your audience?
- Describe your company using only one sentence.
- What are your company goals in the next few years?
- What reasons are you in need of this project?
- Why is the old version no longer working for you?
- Where will this project be used?
- What would be the ideal outcome for this project?
- What purpose do you hope it achieves?
- What would failure look like?
- Who in your company will be involved in this project?
- Who has final approval?
- What is your budget for this project?
- What is the deadline or time frame you need this project completed by?
- Who are your main competitors?
- What makes you stand out from your competition?
- Who is your target audience for this project?
- Describe your ideal customer. Explain their tastes, lifestyle, what they look like, what are their hobbies are. List anything and everything that gives an idea of who your typical customer is.
- What is the main message you want your target audience to walk away with after working with your company?
- Why should your audience choose you instead of your competition?
- What are some words that you’d want your audience to associate with your company?
- What words don’t you want your audience to associate with your company?
- What brands or logos, regardless of industry, capture a similar look and feel that you have in mind?
- Do you have any current branding, marketing materials to provide for review?
- Are there any fonts, colors, images or icons that you have in mind to use for this project?
- Are there any fonts, colors, images or icons that you’d like to avoid using?
Drop me a line if you have any questions or would like help with any of this.
Grow Your Small Business by Design
Get biweekly inspiration, insights and resources to help your small business reach its big goals.